Tuesday, December 4

Dave Loebsack Wants R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Dave Loebsack wrote:

"The National Labor Relations Board issued a regulation in September of 2006 that expanded the definition of the term "supervisor." This new definition limits the rights of union-member employees and also hampers their ability to retain protections under federal labor law.

The Re-Empowerment of Skilled and Professional Employees and Construction Tradesworkers (RESPECT) Act would again redefine "supervisor" to require the definition to include individuals who have authority over employees for a majority of that time at work. It would also remove the requirement that the supervisor have the authority to assign other employees or the responsibility to direct them. If the current ruling from the National Labor Relations Board stands, thousands of workers will lose their eligibility to organize and form unions in the places of work.

I am co-sponsor, and strong supporter, of this bill and am working with my colleagues to ensure passage before the full House of Representatives. In September, I was proud to vote in favor of this bill's passage in the House Education and Labor Committee. Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. I encourage you to visit my website at www.loebsack.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletters to stay informed of the work I'm doing in Congress. I am proud to serve Iowa's Second District, and I am committed to working hard for you."

No comments: