Monday, July 2

Bill Moyers on News Corporation's Rupert Murdoch

After talking to my brother about the appalling state of the mass media, I thought this editorial touches some points I wish I had been more eloquent in making to him. Rupert Murdoch is the chairman of News Corporation which is the 3rd largest global media company in the US behind Time-Warner and Walt Disney Corp with a market value of $56.4 billion and is currently bidding to take over the Wall Street Journal.

A Bill Moyers essay on Rupert Murdoch (Chairman of News Corporation) and The Wall Street Journal.

Moyers has said in the past: "I've learned from you not to claim too much for my craft, but not to claim too little, either. You keep reminding me that the quality of journalism and the quality of democracy go hand in hand. Or as a character says in one of Tom Stoppard's plays, 'People do terrible things to each other, but it's worse in the places where everybody is kept in the dark.' "


"The greatest thing that'll come out of [the Iraq] this War is $20 a barrel for oil."

--Rupert Murdoch

No comments: