Tuesday, January 22

Freddie's Dead and Duncan Got a Donut

That's right, The other "Thompson Twin," Fred Thompson (no relation to Tommy Thompson)has given up his short lived bid for the White House after coming in a distant third in South Carolina.

Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for president of the United States," Thompson said in a statement.

"I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people."

In other news, Rep. Duncan Hunter dropped out of the race after finishing last in Nevada and south Carolina.

"Today we end this campaign," the California lawmaker said in the statement.

"I ran the campaign exactly the way I wanted to, and at this point not being able to gain traction in conservative states of Nevada and South Carolina, it's time to allow our volunteers and supporters to focus on the campaigns that remain viable," he said.

That leaves John McCain, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Rudy Giuliani, and Ron Paul to fight it out for the Republican nomination.

No comments: