Wednesday, May 23

Crossing the Line: AG Lawyer Goodling Didn't Mean to Break the Law

Former Attorney General's Office/White House liaison, TOM (The other Monica) Monica Goodling, armed with her Attorney John Dowd and a signed order protecting her from prosecution, admitted that she did play politics when chatting with job applicants over at the AG's office. From the Washington Post
"I do acknowledge that I may have gone too far in asking political questions of applicants for career positions and may have taken inappropriate political considerations into account on some occasions," Goodling told the House panel.

"I regret these mistakes," said Goodling.

Asked if she believed she had done anything illegal, Goodling told the lawmakers: "I know I crossed the line."

"But I didn't mean to," she added.

Goodling initially refused to testify, citing her right against self-incrimination. But a federal judge, at the request of the House committee, signed an order protecting her from prosecution.

Goodling placed some of the blame for the furor over the fired prosecutors on Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty, denying claims she had withheld information from him before he testified to Congress in February.

"Despite my and others' best effort, the deputy's public testimony was incomplete or inaccurate," Goodling said, adding, "I believe the deputy was not fully candid about his knowledge of White House involvement in the replacement decision."

No comments: