Monday, March 10

NY Governor and Clinton Supporter Spitzer in Deep Trouble

New York Governor Eliot Spitzer has, according to the NY Times, admitted to dealing with a prostitution ring despite his actions as New York's Attorney General to be tough on them. While the details have not been released yet, it creates an awkward situation for Hillary Clinton who was endorsed by Spitzer in May of 2007 for president.

This is a significant problem for the Democratic Party in New York and remains to be seen how the blowout from this scandal will play out. Republicans in the state will waste no time to make hay out of this.

Already there is speculation that Spitzer will resign as Governor.

Spitzer's public statementno reference to resignation.

SPITZER: I apologize first, and most importantly, to my family. I apologize to the public, whom I promised better.

I do not believe that politics in the long run is about individuals. It is about ideas, the public good and doing what it best for the state of New York.

But I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family.

No comments: