Wednesday, September 19

We Are in the Days of Awe

In the Jewish faith, we are well into Yamim Noraim, the Days of Awe, that cover the couple of weeks from Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) to Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). This is the period when God supposedly writes our names in the books of life, writes whether we will live or die in the coming year, whether our lives will be good or bad. This is God as Santa Claus (He knows when we've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake),as racehorse handicapper--or as James Zogby.

Apparently it is also when Congress and OJ Simpson make poor decisions, the President begs us to keep letting him do what he has been doing to Iraq despite the carnage, and when Madonna goes on her Israeli "Like a Kabbalistic Prayer" tour. Apparently it is also when Kanye and "Fiddy" chose to hype their new Cds.

I admit here and now, that I was born a child of Canaan, a "chosen person," but decided a few years ago that Unitarian Universalism was less guilt producing, at least until I call my Mom...you can take the boy out of the bagel, but you can't take the bagel from the boy.

Still, I have deep respect for the efficient method of exonerating one's self from bad decision making which this time of the year allows Jewish people. Of course this does require meditating on the subject of the holidays and ask for forgiveness from anyone who has been wronged--yes, you too Larry Craig.

Given the vote on habeas corpus today, I think a Congressional shoutout to the boys over at Camp X-Ray might be appropriate too. If I were an elected official in Washington DC, I would convert just to feel better about myself. On the other hand, there is Joe Lieberman to consider.

No comments: