Friday, September 28

Response From Sen. Harkin on Farm Bill

Thank you for contacting me.

I am always glad to hear from you. I appreciate hearing your support for Bread for the World's farm bill proposal. As you may know, Rev. David Beckmann, President of Bread for the World, testified in front of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Forestry and Nutrition on April 25. He offered his thoughts on how to improve farm policy to help the poor and hungry here in the United States and around the world.

Along with an effective safety net for farmers to alleviate their risks, I intend to provide farm programs that strongly support conservation, rural economic development, farm-based renewable energy and bio-based products to provide broad, long-term benefits to our environment, our economy and our rural communities all across America. I believe our farm programs must differentiate between those who most need federal assistance and those who are better positioned to manage economic risk.

I share the concerns of many Iowans about excessive farm payments to the largest farm operations and the impact this skewed distribution has on the ability of smaller farm operations to compete. I believe there should be a much stronger focus in farm programs on promoting opportunities for family-sized operations. As I draft the upcoming farm bill, I will work hard to include meaningful payment limitations and farm programs that provide the loans, financial assistance and safety nets programs to support the farms and families that need it most. I also appreciate hearing your thoughts on farm program payments. I share your concerns about the effect that excessive farm program payments to the largest farm operations have on the ability of smaller farm operations to compete.

A balanced farm income support policy should differentiate between those who most need federal assistance and those who are better positioned to manage economic risk. I believe there should be a much stronger focus in farm programs on promoting opportunities for family-sized operations. In addition, agricultural programs supporting conservation, rural economic development, farm based renewable energy and bio-based products will provide broader, long-term benefits to the smaller farms and communities in rural America.

While I fought for stricter payment limitations in the 2002 farm bill, the final bill did not go as far as I would have preferred. As I draft the upcoming farm bill, I will work hard to include meaningful payment limitations and farm programs that provide the loans, financial assistance and safety nets programs to support the farms and families that need it most. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on the upcoming farm bill. Please rest assured that I will consider your thoughts and concerns as my staff and I continue work on the 2007 farm bill.

Sincerely, Tom Harkin

No comments: