Thursday, April 10

Lensing Says No Way to SJR2002

Representative Lensing agree that Iowa waterways are increasingly more polluted, that funding is cut to natural resources, but is against the only guaranteed way to create a permanent funding stream to do something about this environmental crisis. What's wrong with this picture?

Thank you for your concerns about SJR2002. You are correct - the Iowa River is one of the most polluted rivers.

I do support funding for natural resources - but through an appropriated stream of dollars not a Constitutional amendment.

I want you to know that during my time in the Legislature, I have worked for and supported protecting our environment and natural resources. I have consistently voted for increased funding for REAP and other programs for the environment. I appreciate your concerns about sustainable funding.

However - changing the Constitution is not something I take lightly. The Constitution is the framework for our state government. Putting budgetary items in the Constitution is not something I support.

The Legislature crafts a new budget each year based on revenue and proposals. I know that the Natural Resources budget has been cut repeatedly and the Legislature needs to work on keeping those dollars where they are allocated.

I will continue to work on water and air quality, parks and trails, wildlife and natural resource issues. But I cannot support SJR2002.

Thanks you again for contacting me about this legislation.

~ Vicki Lensing
<

No comments: