Saturday, August 11

Campaign Ad Disclamers

As I spent an evening watching my wife's favorite channel (let's just say it isn't called the American Greeting Card Network), I began to understand the complexities of prescription drugs. If you are afflicted with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome), they've got you covered. But there is a dark side--extensive side effects.

I got to thinking that perhaps the American public would benefit from campaign ads that offer similar cautionary tales.

Candidate X says "I will bring about universal health care within my first 100 days in the White House*

* Side effects may include: improved health, less worry, 45 million people with health coverage. Results may vary depending on the generosity of the health care lobby, the back bone of Congress.

Candidate Y says "If President Bush doesn't end the war in Iraq, then I will."*

* Side effects may include: sending the troops to Iran, developing permanent bases in Iraq.

Candidate Z says "I will cut your taxes."*

* Side effects may include: putting more tax burden on the middle-class, reducing human services, increasing the Federal deficit.

You get the picture.

No comments: