Monday, August 10

Lynn Fallon Wants Good Food In Schools

From Lynn Fallon:

Hi. This is Lynn Fallon. I’m working on the national Farm to School program because I believe our kids deserve safe, nutritious, economical, tasty school lunches.

Childhood obesity has become a critical problem in the United States. One-third of U.S. children are obese or overweight; 11 % are obese in Iowa. Over 80% of our children do not eat enough fruit and vegetables each day, but 1/3 of them drink a can, bottle or glass of soda (not including diet soda) each day.

Despite this bad news, regular access to healthy food has been proven to be one of the strongest predictors of improved school performance. Along with the health benefits to our children, local farmers benefit by added sales, which then benefits the local communities.

This brings me to the reason I’m writing to you today. I know everyone is busy, but I think providing our kids with healthy food is really important. If you can do one thing from the list below, it will show our elected officials that we want them to support the Farm to School legislation.

Call, email or write and ask them to support Section 122 of the Child Nutrition Act reauthorization. See contact information at the end of this note.

Write a letter-to-the-editor, to your local newspaper, supporting the Farm to School program. I would love to get a copy if it gets published. You can email it to me at lynn@sustainableagriculture.net.

Sign up for Action Alerts at: http://sustainableagriculture.net/take-action/sign-up-for-action-alerts/

No comments: